Saturday, January 17, 2009

This past week has been pretty busy, but I think we’ve done a good job managing things.

Of course my challenges are very different from most people’s challenges. For instance, one of my goals for the morning has been to stand up, and without assistance, walk from the bedroom to the kitchen and then back. For most people that’s no big deal. But for me, I haven’t been able to do it in nearly two weeks. I’ll have to report back my progress on reaching that goal later.

For Peggy (and the kids) managing things mainly means staying on track with home school work and getting me shuffled around to my Dr’s or clinic visits. Unless the family is just telling me something to keep me quiet, everyone really did do their jobs this week and I am proud of them.

We enjoyed a visit by my parents this week. And they helped us enjoy all the visits from so many friends that have been dropping off “happies” at the house. By happies I do mean food, which we have enjoyed. We appreciate it so much ~ thank you.

Health Update – getting better has been kinda frustrating for me this week. Up until last Monday I was taking chemo and radiation. Now we have to wait to see how much good all the treatments have done OR did for me.

Right now, I do seem to be making slight improvements each day. I’ve gotten a little more agile this week, there are fewer and fewer episodes of shooting pains, and I am getting a fraction of the feeling back in my foot. Being patient is not an easy thing to do, especially when you are cooped up.

Unfortunately, being cooped up can also lead to frustration and anger. In my case a bit of misplaced anger. At different times this week, I have had to apologize to everyone in the family for harsh things that I’ve said. Did you know that a 30 second outburst of anger really can do a lot of damage?

In the book of James we are counseled that we should have self control over our mouths.

James 3:9-12 9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

This is not a new lesson for me, but for some reason I have to learn it over and over and over. As you pray for me, please add having better control of my tongue to the list. If I am going to be a blessing to others I need to have my heart and my tongue under God’s authority.

Well, I have to go now……I hope I didn’t “say” too much,

Frank

5:12pm ***UPDATE..... I did it and I had a glass of water in my hand too!***UPDATE

4 comments:

John and Candy Barton said...

Hey Frank,
Thanks so much to you and Peggy for your diligence in keeping your blog up to date. It helps so much in praying for you. Thanks also for your insights in scripture. That helps me a bunch too. I think of and pray for you often. You da man, Frank.
John

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so candid with your struggles and for asking for prayer. I think it takes a very strong person to ask for prayer in such a specific way. We love you and as always are so honored to pray for you and to be able to call you friends.
Love the Hillis clan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We'll look for you at church in the morning.
Love you all!
Jane

Anonymous said...

Love and praying for you. You and the whole Carlton family have been so very special to me since we were little kids... Not an hour goes by in a day that I don't pray for you and your precious family - even though at work it's more like a jumble of thoughts.

You've done so much to teach us how to live, and I love you all so much -

mel